Us

Us

5.03.2010

I might be obsessed.

Somewhere along the way to now, I stopped listening to regular radio and started listening to NPR. I'm not really sure when it happened, but I still laugh to myself sometimes that I enjoy talk radio so much. You just never think it's going to happen to you. And then you're glad when it does. When I was working full time (and by working, I mean, getting paid for my work), I just listened to the basic news that comes on while commuting, with an occasional Fresh Air by Terri Gross. (Love Fresh Air). But now that the majority of my driving occurs during daytime hours, I have discovered new shows by American Public Media. Exploring Music and, my personal favorite: Performance Today. If you have never heard Performance Today, you will not be able to quite understand how I cannot even type those words without hearing the familiar inflection of Fred Child, PT's host.

I love Fred Child. In fact, I have a voice crush on him. Nothing romantic. I am just completely sure that Fred Child and I could be best friends.

After listening to his wildly expressive voice for many months, I finally decided to look up a picture of him on the internet. And I have to say, I was sadly disappointed. I imagined Fred to be a kindly, graying man of my parent's generation. He surely would wear a subtle pair of wire-rimmed glasses to compliment his narrow, unassuming face.

Nope. He is young, and sort of bald. With a beard! Blah. I mean, Fred, if you are reading this (which is a possibility, since we are potential best friends) there is nothing wrong with how you look, you are a fine looking guy... just different. It just hasn't been the same on the show since I saw his picture. I keep trying to assimilate that image with the one in my head.

But, I still want to start an "I Love Fred Child" Fan Club.

And the Piano Puzzler is still the best ten minutes of my week.

1 comment:

~Cmac~ said...

You are crazy - in the most wonderful, endearing, likeable sort of way. I miss you!